Why teach with Cisco Networking Academy?
Cisco Networking Academy is a skills-to-jobs program offering technology education through public-private partnerships, high-quality curriculum, and inclusive workforce development programs. We partner with high schools, vocational colleges, universities, and non-profits worldwide, offering our industry-leading curriculum in tandem to enrich their programs and services. We've been transforming the lives of learners, educators, and communities for over 25 years.
Top-notch curriculum + free license
Backed by learning science and designed with Cisco industry expertise in areas like networking, cybersecurity, Python, and data science. Courses build job-ready skills, are vendor-neutral and align to digital credentials and industry-recognized certifications.
Spark curiosity, teach confidently
Stay at the forefront of your field with our customizable, real-world curriculum that evolves as new technology trends emerge. With intuitive teaching tools and flexible course delivery options for in-classroom, online, and hybrid learning — you can engage all learners, including those new to tech, no matter where they are.
Frequently asked questions
Below are the most commonly asked questions we receive from those wanting to teach with or otherwise become an official learning partner with Cisco Networking Academy. If you've already reviewed and feel ready, please apply to become an academy.
Becoming A Networking Academy
When you partner with Cisco Networking Academy, you align your organization with the worldwide leader in technology that powers the Internet – Cybersecurity, Networking, Programming, Data Science, and more.
You become part of one of the longest-running, purpose-driven learning and digital skills programs in the world and join a global community of strong public-private partnerships and inclusive workforce development.
You get access to high-quality, skills-to-jobs technology curriculum – including over 43 courses in up to 27 languages, plus flexible course delivery like self-paced, instructor-led, or hybrid options to support your organization’s needs.
Educators get access to pre-built course content, innovative teaching resources, professional development, and a community of peers around the globe. Learners get support through engaging learning experiences, career resources, and job matching services.
And while many organizations are looking to profit by selling their curriculum, our program packs value without the price tag. Cisco Networking Academy is part of Cisco’s mission to power an inclusive future for all. We aim to positively impact the lives of people, society, and the planet.
In the last 25 years, we’ve educated more than 20.5 million students worldwide -- and we’re prepared to scale as the demand for the technology workforce of the future grows. When you partner with Cisco Networking Academy, you offer an exciting career for your instructors and a meaningful future for your students and the community they live in.
There is no charge to join the Cisco Networking Academy program. Depending on the course or courses you choose, you may need to purchase equipment and you may need the support of an Academy Support Center (ASC) to get up and running. Some ASCs provide services on a per-incident fee basis while other ASCs provide an annual fee for a general list of services.
To join the program, we ask you to review and agree to the following legal documents:
- Cisco Networking Academy Agreement is your overarching agreement. It references the following two documents (Membership Guide and Terms & Conditions). This document is electronically signed.
- Cisco Networking Academy Membership Guide details the Cisco Networking Academy program including roles and responsibilities.
- Terms and Conditions for use of Cisco Networking Academy sites and services. This document covers ownership, licensing, indemnification, and other general terms.
For some courses, physical equipment may be required to support the learning objectives of the curriculum. The types of equipment required could include routers, switches, cables, or other hardware. As a participating academy in the Cisco Networking Academy program, you can purchase physical equipment at a significant discount for use in your classroom.
However, not all courses require physical equipment. Some courses take advantage of software tools such as Cisco Packet Tracer, virtual machines, or virtual sandboxes, and may only require a computer and internet connection. And many of our online introductory courses can be taken on any mobile device.
To learn more about equipment requirement details by course, please refer to the course Scope and Sequence document.
Contact a local Cisco Reseller Partner of your choice for equipment pricing and order fulfillment. Use the Partner Finder to find a reseller near you. Additionally, consider working with an Academy Support Center (ASC) who can help you choose the best way to secure equipment needed for your location. They may offer loaner equipment or used equipment options.
Yes, discounts for Cisco equipment needed for Cisco Networking Academy courses and labs are available when purchased through a Cisco Reseller Partner. Use the Partner Finder to find a Cisco Reseller Partner near you.
Cisco Packet Tracer is a powerful networking simulation tool and virtual lab software developed by Cisco for teaching and learning. Packet Tracer is an interactive way to practice networking, IoT, and cybersecurity skills. Students can practice building simple and complex networks across a variety of devices while they develop discovery and troubleshooting skills by asking “what if” questions. Packet Tracer is versatile. It can be used for lectures, labs, games, homework, assessments, competitions, and distance learning.
Packet Tracer supplements physical equipment in the classroom. While hands-on experience using physical equipment remains a best practice, supporting distance and hybrid learning has become increasingly necessary. To support distance learning, Networking Academy offers Packet Tracer Physical Mode as an option when physical equipment is not available. Lab activities in select courses offer an option to either practice skills by using Packet Tracer Physical Mode or practice skills by using physical lab equipment. Both options support students in developing critical skills.
Cisco Packet Tracer software is used in a number of Cisco Networking Academy courses and is available to download free of charge. It is only available for use in a non-commercial, non-production training environment. Cisco Packet Tracer may only be used to educate students enrolled in Cisco Networking Academy courses.
The Cisco Networking Academy portfolio includes a breadth of learning offerings to support a learner’s journey from curiosity to careers. Our technical skills curriculum leverages Cisco industry expertise in areas like networking, cybersecurity, data science, operating systems & IT, and programming. We also offer courses to develop professional skills, like communication and critical thinking, and to practice these skills in the context of authentic work scenarios.
Curriculum is developed by technology and education experts to provide you with high-quality skills-to-jobs curriculum, backed by learning science and ample practice opportunities.
Many courses align to industry-recognized certifications. These courses are designed for learning outcomes to prepare learners with transferable, vendor-neutral, job-ready skills.
Digital Badges verify student skills and are earned when the student successfully completes the earning criteria. Typically, this means earning a passing score on the course final assessment. Students can display Digital Badges on any platform – social media, email signature, resume, and website – enhancing their professional brand. Best of all the Digital Badge is free. See a list of Digital Badges currently available.
Networking Academy provides comprehensive support and resources for instructors. Our digital communities facilitate conversations with colleagues, shared ideas, best practices and collaborative problem solving. Academy Support Centers (ASCs) and Instructor Training Centers (ITCs) are also available to assist instructors when needed.
In a recent survey, 94% of instructors said Networking Academy helped them become a better educator. Here's a sampling of what Networking Academy offers, helping instructors deliver an exceptional education to their students:
- Discounts to purchase Cisco equipment used within the classroom.
- Instructor accreditation via Instructor Trainer Centers (ITCs) if required for select courses.
- Access to education platform for classes, lab activities, assessments, instructional presentations, and metrics.
- Dynamic assessment technology that delivers reliable, valid, fair assessments, with flexibility to vary the assessments through a pool of potential questions. And yes, it reduces student cheating.
- Access to the latest Cisco Packet Tracer simulation software.
- Support available from Cisco Global Support Desk.
- Free quarterly Instructor Professional Development (IPD) virtual training as well as access to previous training recordings.
- Discounted certification exam vouchers for qualified students.
- Instructor recognition programs.
- Marketing tools and resources to help promote your classes.
An Academy Support Center (ASC) is a partner that provides valuable services for many of our Networking Academy institutions. ASCs are leaders within their community, providing guidance, mentoring, and ongoing support. Depending on their expertise, an ASC may help with:
- Grant assistance to locate funding opportunities
- Locating where to obtain equipment for your region, including leasing or loaner options
- Classroom equipment set up
- Onboarding support such as creating and launching your first course
- Using the education platform
- Providing instructor training and accreditation
- Providing primary support
- Establishing key success metrics
- Driving student participation and growth
- Assistance in localizing communications
- Marketing assistance in promoting your new course(s)
- Locating services, information, and tools
ASC pricing and services vary. Some ASCs do not charge for their services, while others provide services on a per-incident fee basis or offer an annual subscription fee for a general list of services.
Even if you choose courses that do not require ASC alignment, it can be extremely valuable having an ASC’s assistance and support for the services listed above. Use the ASC locator to find an ASC that best meets your needs.
Due to the technical nature of some courses, Cisco Networking Academy may require that your institution receive support from an Academy Support Center, also known as aligning with an ASC. Having the support of an ASC will boost your institution’s success in delivering a quality course and ultimately improve your student learning outcomes. Cisco Networking Academy also offers courses that do not require ASC alignment. However, it is still highly recommended choosing an ASC that best meets your needs.
Instructor Training Centers (ITCs) provide initial and ongoing training for Networking Academy Instructors. ITCs offer:
- Instructor training and accreditation classes for select Networking Academy courses
- Instructor professional development opportunities
- Technical support for a Networking Academy Instructor for up to a year after successfully completing training
In addition to training and professional development, ITCs may also offer boot camp training and support for courses with significant updates. You may find that an Academy Support Center also provides services as an ITC. Use the ITC locator to find an ITC that best meets your needs.
Cisco Networking Academy Talent Bridge is an employment program that connects hiring employers from around the world with current and former Cisco Networking Academy students. We actively work with recruiters to identify entry-level job opportunities for students. The Matching Engine connects recruiters with qualified candidates from our program based on employer-specific skill requirements using data-informed matching. Students also get valuable assistance like career advice, virtual events, career networking, and experience-building opportunities.
Providing a technical curriculum is just the start of what Cisco Networking Academy offers students. The end goal is to land a meaningful job. We help students launch IT careers, start businesses, and solve problems locally and globally.
To do this, we offer:
- Free access to the latest Cisco Packet Tracer, the robust simulation software used in many Networking Academy courses
- Discounted certification exam vouchers for qualified students – students with a set-level passing grade
- Courses and workshops that develop critical thinking, entrepreneurial, and problem-solving skills
- Professional skill building such as becoming a better communicator, team player, or the importance of workplace etiquette
- Global community support through Facebook
- Digital experiences through programs like Women Rock-IT to motivate students with inspirational role models and the opportunities STEAM skills can bring to their future, including career pathways, career attainment and advancement
- Digital badges to validate learning
- Participation in several professional software develop communities-of-practice such as Cisco DevNet, GitHub, and Stack Overflow
- Talent Bridge Matching Engine that pairs qualified students with hiring employers
In the last 25+ years, we’ve educated more than 17.5 million students worldwide -- and we’re prepared to scale as the need for IT professionals grows exponentially. Join us!